Where to look for Cheap Accommodations

One of the dorm rooms in a hostel in Paracas, Peru. That was my bed right there with the rubber shoes.


First one that I always check is Booking.com. What I like about this is that most listings here do not require any downpayment when you do your reservations. Some would require you to input your card details for assurance. But still you don't get charged and you only pay when you arrive. There are cancellation fees though, so be mindful with that.






Second one is Hostelworld.comwhich I only started using last year. With this site on the other hand, you would need to pay a 12% downpayment to confirm your reservation. I also found out that some hostels here do not have any listings in Booking.com. So I think it's good to check both for more options.

Both of these websites would then ask you to leave a review after staying with any of the properties, so you can help other travelers decide which ones to pick. And it is also a good place to voice out any of your comments, concerns, and of course, commendations which I am sure would be definitely appreciated by the property owners. I make it a point to always leave a review after. 


During my travels in South America, I mostly did my reservations either the day before or on the same day of my arrival as I didn't have fixed plans on how long I wanted to stay in one city. What I normally do is just book for one night, to get a feel of the hostel. And If I like the place, I then extend my stay by informing reception. If not, I can just easily leave the next day. There was one time though when I was in Bogota, when I just booked for one night and I liked it, but then unfortunately the hostel was full the next day so I had no choice but to leave and look for another place. I was at fault too because I didn't check with them the night before if there was an availability the next day. So I suggest, if you decide to also just book for one night and you knew right away that you wanted to stay in that place longer, inform reception as soon as possible. Better to inform them at night. 

Comments