Crossing the Peru – Bolivia Land Border via Desaguadero


At the border

I took the Trans Salvador night bus (bought it online) and it left Terminal Terrestre in Cusco at 10pm. We arrived at the La Paz Terminal at around 1:00pm.

So here is how you cross the border by land:

1. The bus will stop and drop you off a few meters before the Peru immigration office. So obviously, you would need to take the exit stamp there first. Just show your passport and the white slip that they gave when you entered the country.

2. After getting the exit stamp, you would have to walk across the bridge to get to the Bolivian immigration office. It is an old office which is currently undergoing construction. It took us maybe an hour to finish the whole process.

However, before lining up for the stamp, you need to get the green slip from the officer first. You’ll present your passport, and the officer checks them. With my experience, upon giving the officer my passport, he checked through the pages and asked for my Bolivian visa. With my basic broken Spanish, I told him that I don't need a visa and I could enter Bolivia for free. He tells me that I need one and I insisted that I don’t. So he called me to come inside the office, and he asked his fellow officer to confirm if I needed one. And of course, the other officer said no. The male officer, was perhaps a bit surprised that I indeed didn’t need one. So he then gave me the green slip finally and asked me if I’m with other Philippine passport holders so that he can give me more green slips.

After getting the green slip, we then lined up for the immigration booth. As mentioned, it probably took us an hour to finish. When it was my turn, the lady at the booth, also was not sure if I needed a visa. So she also asked his co-workers if I needed one. After maybe one or two minutes, she then stamped my visa. Awesome.

3. Outside the immigration office, you will then look for your bus. By the way, there was no need to bring the big bags with you to the immigration. I did not see any bag security check. Even the small bags that we have with us, they did not check it as well.

4. From the immigration border, up to the main terminal in La Paz, it will take about 2 hours.


And there you go, Bienvenidos a Bolivia!


Comments